4 days in Canton of Appenzell Itinerary

4 days in Canton of Appenzell Itinerary

Created using Inspirock Canton of Appenzell trip itinerary builder

©
Plan created by another user. Make it yours
Drive
1
Urnaesch
— 3 nights
Drive

S M T W T F S
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

3
nights
Urnaesch

Urnäsch is a municipality in the canton of Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Switzerland.HistoryIn 831 AD a part of Urnäsch known as Färchen was first mentioned. Santis der Berg has been added to your itinerary. Explore the numerous day-trip ideas around Urnaesch: Paxmal (in Walenstadt), Alpenbad (in Hinwil) and Rapperswil (Elsener Messerschmied AG & Capuchin Friary). There's much more to do: see the interesting displays at Appenzeller Brauchtumsmuseum Urnäsch, trek along Lillyweg, take a peaceful walk through Baumwipfelpfad Neckertal, and take in the awesome beauty at Kronberg.

To see other places to visit, where to stay, maps, and tourist information, read Urnaesch holiday maker.

Geneva to Urnaesch is an approximately 4.5-hour car ride. In October, plan for daily highs up to 17°C, and evening lows to 8°C. Wrap up your sightseeing on the 26th (Mon) to allow time to travel back home.

Things to do in Urnaesch

Parks · Nature · Spas · Museums

Side Trips

Canton of Appenzell travel guide

4.4
Mountains · Outdoor Activities · Specialty Museums
Appenzell District is a district of the canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden in Switzerland. It has a population of. The area of Appenzell is 16.88km². The district of Appenzell consists of a part of the village Appenzell, as well as Rinkenbach, Kau and Meistersrüte.HistoryPrehistoric AppenzellWhile a single late Bronze Age site has been discovered in the forest outside Appenzell, there is no evidence of a prehistoric settlement. The region around Appenzell remained forested and very lightly settled until the end of the Early Middle Ages.Under the Abbots of St. GallUnder the authority of the abbots of the monastery of St. Gall settlers began to colonization of the Sitter river valley in the late 11th century. It is mentioned, in a deed granting rights to clear land, in 1071 as Abbacella. At the same time, the parish of St. Mauritius was established. By 1200, the parish included the area of the modern district as well as villages of Brenden, Lank, Lehn and Meistersrüte. The meager records before 1500 does not allow accurate reconstruction of the early residential development. It is likely that the first village houses were along the road between church and abbot's farm, which was built at what is now Reichsstrasse near the Gansbach stream. This gave the early village an east-west orientation. East of the church the Metzibrücke bridge was built over the Sitter. This led to the extension of the village across the river. The eastern end of the village was a conglomerate of economic and administrative buildings.

Source